Sunday, February 10, 2008

So watch what you say...

So today I did a great open-mouth-insert-foot moment. So imagine we sitting in front of the altar with about 5 kids during the service - its Children's Time. These kids are the ones who always come up - and there are two quite vocal ones, and the rest listen most of the time.

So I asked them what they knew about Lent. Some talked about the colors changing and the paraments changing. I asked if they knews anything else and someone said, "Yeah, we buried the alleluias last week, so we don't say them anymore." I chuckled and said "You're right, we buried the a-words so we don't say the a-word anymore."

That was it! The pastor just said, "We don't say the a-word anymore!" Aha, my mind went racing and thought, if there is someone here who wasn't here with us last week or is a visitor they may be thinking - What? This church used the A word? So I worked to recover quickly and looked out to the congregation and said, "You know, the a-word --- A-L-L-E-L-U-I-A!"

Folks laughed and later we had some good conversation about it in the hallway and narthex later. But wow, for a split second I was freaking out - Pastor Kim just spoke about using the a-word with the kids during children's time in the worship space. Augh!

So lesson learned...what what you say and be ready for a quick recovery!

No comments:

Free Hit Counters