Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Real Housewives of Orange County

Not my typical TV viewing, but earlier today I was vegging out on the couch and I watched several episodes of The Real Housewives of Orange County. I think I was mesmerized for a bit, as I knew I was viewing a new culture (for me) but then I began to feel repulsed and regretful.

Repulsed by the fact that the entire substance of this program is out the incredibly extravagant and wasteful spending of some people in our country. On one of the episodes a woman and her husband had just purchased a second home, after becoming empty-nesters, with the husband's idea of downsizing and finding some time for relaxation and enjoyment. Sounds great right? Well, the downsized house cost $1.8 million dollars, and then the woman called in their designer to redo the entire house, they met with a contrator to put a pool in the backyard - not just any pool but the one that would take the place of the basketball/tennis court that was already in the back yard, that would have numerous waterfalls with laser lights and fire - all starting around $400,000. But here's the bit that just took me over the edge (and truly prompted this reflection) - the next episode (yes, I watched 3) she had decided to continue to live in her $3.9 million dollar house because it was the top of the top, and not to move into the smaller home, but sell it to someone else.

Regretful that these women, men, and their children are lost. They are alone. They are depressed. They are wanting. They are sad. Their entire lives are built on nothing more than money and when that is spent, they seek to spend more, for money doesn't fill the hole. I believe that this is the hole that exists all over - regardless of wealth. A hole that we seek to fill with everything and anything, even if it creates a larger hole.

This hole is that vacuum that I believe is created when we turn in on ourselves and seek to lead our lives alone. This is sin, turning in on oneself and thus turning from our creator, the God of this world. Our fullness is only found in our relationship with our creator.

So the question becomes - how does one proclaim this good news, point to this relationship with folks whose entire lives are built on and sustained on the god of money, wealth, and excess? And this is not only the women, men, and children on this show, but many Americans?

No comments:

Free Hit Counters