Sunday, March 09, 2008

Oprah's Big Give

I just finished watching an episode of "Oprah's Big Give." I found it interesting - both for the good and for the bad.

I mean, I think the intention behind the program is on. There is a lot to be said and learned as we hear stories of people doing extraordinary things to help out others. The projects that many of these folks put together on this show were wonderful and they touched many lives. On the specific episode that I watched there were five that stood out for me. One was a collaboration of 3 guys who pooled their monetary ($4,800 each) and connecting resources and worked to remodel, provide a playground, and two vehicles for the oldest orphanage in Denver. The kids were touched (and will continue to be) and the folks who work for/with these kids as well were re-energized. Then there was another young man who went ot the children's hospital and literally just gave money to mother's who couldn't provide the necessary elements like diapers, blankets, car seats - as well as giving his car away as well. Then there was a woman who is a parapalegic and she worked so hard to provide for a family that she randomly met who have a daughter who has developmental disabilities and for 16 years has been unable to communicate; as well as helping to pay for college for their oldest son. Then she went to the hospital and gave her handicapped equipped car to an immigrant who was just in a car accident and wouldn't be able to purchase his own.

All of this is moving and beautiful. There is a lot to learn in this.

BUT, and here's where I struggle. It is great that this money is going out like this, but what about the "normal" folks who don't have Oprah bankrolling things who are doing this and much more? What about a series that highlights their lives? Their work? Their struggle? There is a greater movement in these stories I think because they can encourage the rest of us who say, "Well that's good - they were given money. But what can I do?" There are amazing, loving, giving, sacrificing people throughout this country and this world, who don't look for the coverage but work their hearts and their lives to help others. These are the stories we need to hear, these are the stories that we need to applaud, these are the stories that we need to emulate.

Thanks Oprah for doing this - but I challenge you and those with the means to step out of the "reality tv-show" genre and step into the real life stories and people. Much can be done and much more enthusiasm and challenge to the rest of us who then can't say - "I can't do that."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most Christians that I know do not want to be recognized for fear of losing something much more eternal in the age to come.

Anonymous said...

The ability to give seems like such an amazing gift in and of itself. To be honest, I am definitely not a natural giver. But, the more I ask God to transform who I am, the more I find myself seeking opps to give. Its always a little scary for me, but I find it exciting and rewarding. Thanks for sharing.

Kim said...

Coldfire - I agree that most Christ followers don't want to be recognized - for whatever reason. I guess I am not truly calling for a television show after I think more about this, but a community movement where (without sounding cliche) we do what we are called to do and "pass it on". Sharing the stories of those we meet, of our own giving experiences, and inviting others to join along side will go much farther than a Hollywood show that's ultimate goal is to make ratings and money for those that already have ratings and money.

I also don't want to "trash" the program - I think there is good here. I just think that we run the extreme risk of losing the true reason why we (Christian or not) feel the call inside to reach out and help our brothers and sisters and environment.

Ellen - giving is such a gift indeed. You know the thought that the giver gets back just the same.

Kim said...

Hey Kim--found your article on emerging women. Really appreciated what you had to say about giving. I like what Oprah does and it certainly goes a long way to opening our eyes to the opportunities. There are big problems in the world and she attempts to address them although often in a big flashy way. A way that, for most of us, is impossible. I think it does draw our attention away from the "little" ways we can give everyday. Simple things like the touch of a hand or changing our attitude, helping our kids with homework, raking a neighbors lawn. I tend to think of these smaller things as transformational both for the giver and receiver over the long haul.

Free Hit Counters