Monday, September 10, 2007

September 9th - Meet-N-Greet

Yesterday I worshipped with the community I have been in conversation with regarding a call as their pastor. It was a good day all around. The worship service was wonderful, the people were very welcoming, and the brunch following the service (it was Rally Day) was a great time to talk with many folks informally.

The kids and the youth really made me smile and get excited. They were the ones who were asking me questions. First there was a young boy named "Chris" who came up to me following the service and said, "Would you help me with my God and Me project for Cub Scounts?" I said, "Absolutely, that would be fun!" He smiled, looked up to me and said, "You're hired." And then he wandered off into the crowd of people gathering for the brunch.

Then I sat down at a table with two young girls (5th and 6th grade.) When I sat down the youngest asked, "So how old are you?" I chuckled, because these are the questions the adults CAN'T ask, and we did a bit of a guessing game. Then the other girl asked, "So, are you settled down, are you married?" Again, not a question that is really asked by the adults. I smiled and said, "Well, I will be moving soon and I will settle down a bit, and no, I'm not married." We talked for another 10 minutes or so. I asked them to tell me a bit about the church and they didn't hesitate. They first said, "This is our big family really, we know everyone and we are really sisters and brothers." (This is a theme that came up continuously in the conversations with the adults.) And then they proceeded to tell me about the mailbox system and how easy it is to stay in touch with everyone at the church. I asked them, "What do you think the hardest thing is for a pastor here?" They looked stumped but then said, "Well, I guess it would be the first day and learning all the names." Wise beyond their years, let me tell you.

After a few other tables I landed at a table with the youth director (who I knew through my previous work in youth ministry in the synod) and three youth. We chatted a bit and then I asked them what it was that the adults of the church weren't telling me about. They laughed and said they thought I probably knew most of what they knew. The young woman said that the church was really a family (theme, theme) and that they knew how to have fun. Then one of the boys said, "Have they told you about the pathway up to the 7-11 next door?" Everyone laughed and we continued on talking about schools and the like.

Several of the adults said, "We should've just voted today." Or that they are so happy that finally someone was paying attention to the fact that they needed a pastor.

All-in-all the day was a wonderful, joyous, and relaxing time together. The sense of community in this place is contagious. The desire to live into what God is calling them too is evident. The feeling that they need a leader to help guide them is present.

I look forward to next week when I preach, teach and adult forum, and then they vote on whether to offer me a letter of call. I remain in prayer and discernment about what God has planned for me, for this community, and for the whole church. Please continue to pray along with me. Living boldy in Christ! - Kim

No comments:

Free Hit Counters